MSDW Podcast: Derek Lichtenwalner on Career Change with Microsoft Power Apps
When a new app changes the way a business operates, it changes the way workers do their jobs. Our guest, Derek Lichtenwalner, digital transformation specialist at water bottling company BlueTriton, understands the impact of the changes better than your average solution developer, as he transitioned into his current role after several positions on the company’s production line.
Now a Microsoft Power Apps expert in the company, he is responsible for developing and improving the applications that production employees use to inspect and maintain equipment.
Derek tells us how Power Apps changed his career trajectory from production to digital transformation, and how he now interfaces with employees and company management.
- 2:00 – How Power Platform was brought into his business
- 4:15 – Why Derek tends to look at the user’s perspective first when designing apps
- 5:00 – How a hackathon got Derek’s Power Apps working
- 8:15 – Details about the standalone maintenance app Derek is working with.
- 10:30 – The technology that powers the application, such as the Azure AD connector
- 11:30 am – Observations on the speed of the application
- 14:00 – Maintaining relationships with app users and getting feedback.
- 15:30 – Get involved in the Power Apps community
- 16:30 – On changing career plans as a result of Power Apps work
- 6:30 PM – What Derek is looking forward to in Power Platform
- 19:30 – Why business still needs to add automation
- 20:30 – Power Apps newcomer lessons or tips (helping others with questions, speeding up their app development)